Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Irony of Harmony

Yes, there is a bit of irony going on in Harmony right now (which, for those of you not from NC, is a town close to where I live.... in the county north of Charlotte.)  They're preparing for a Ku Klux Klan rally.  Yeah, really.  You thought that was an organization that had died long ago?   Thought perhaps it was a myth?  Nope.  It lives.  Here in my community.  And this rally is going to be held on the land of one of our fellow citizens...in "Harmony." 

It's quite secretive, of course.  Evidently the flyers that are publicizing it have no address, date or time listed.  There is a phone number with an answering machine, which I guess you call to get information.  Supposedly it is a "white unity event" and on that recording they say "If it ain't white, it ain't right."  (Ahhhh...a classic two sentence poem!)  I'm wondering if they still put on the white robes and hoods.  Costuming is so important when you are having a secret club meeting.  Wonder if there is a secret handshake, too. 

There will evidently be a cross burning.  Fitting, since this sort of people probably would have not only hammered Jesus to the cross, but would have put him aflame, too.  Hey Klan, you remember Jesus.....that 33-year old Jewish guy who a lot of us believe offered himself up as the sacrifice for our sins. Who scripture didn't seem to indicate as the savior of only those who have skin of a particular white color.....but the guy who apparently considers people in the whole beautiful spectrum of colors that God knit together in mother's wombs as his brothers and sisters.

It admittedly makes me angry.  As I suspect those who are planning this rally are angry.  They say that anger is always fear in disguise.  I know what I fear...evil, hate-filled people.  What do these people fear?  Alternate skin colors?????

I have never, ever understood why someone would choose to be so proud of something that they have absolutely no contribution to whatsoever, such as the color of their skin.   (Well, unless they tan or use sunscreen faithfully.  Then they have some reason, I guess!)  But really....why would that be the particular quality you choose to celebrate?  There are so many things that make up who we are....why base your identity on your skin color? 

I wish our world was a bit farther along the spectrum when it comes to racism.  I await the day that race is not even mentioned on any application or survey because it is just too complicated to define.  And because it just doesn't matter.  We're probably already there, actually, but won't give up that precious delineation. I hope it happens soon.....and in my lifetime.  It annoys me that people still think it matters.

If you are one of those who plans to attend this rally, or someone who may not actually do it but would like to, I would like to talk to you.  Come out from living in secret.  Take off the hood.  Come out and tell me your story.  I promise I will listen to what you have to say.  Because I want to understand where you are coming from.  Why you think the way you do.   I want us to get to the heart of this.  It really isn't about skin color, is it?????  And no, I will not attend the rally to find out.  Even though I evidently meet the skin color requirement, I don't meet the heart requirement.


Martin Luther King, said that he wanted his children to be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.  I stand with you, Dr. King.  I want that, too.  I want that for all people.  I want us to live in harmony.   I want us to be not color blind, but color kind.  I just wish it wasn't taking so long! 

The Klan may still be alive, but I hope it isn't well.   My big wish would be that this rally have no attendance.  Or if people attend, they would live their lives out loud, publicly, and tell people how they feel.  Whether I ever know the identity of the people behind this secret white society or not, I will pray for their hearts....that they would hear the voice of God.  And that he would change their mission to one of loving all people.  Of helping people.  Of being a good neighbor.  Of being people of character instead of people of color.  I hope many of my friends of all colors will be praying with me.

"May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such HARMONY with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus,  that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God."   Romans 15:5-7 ESV



2 comments:

Liz Barnes said...

Love. Love. Love. So well written.

Anonymous said...

Great scripture verse at end. I am disgusted to hear of this meeting in Harmony. Was shocked to learn of a few "Kinests" around here, they don't wear hats but they are still racists. They are actually transplants from other Southern states (non-Southern). I hope that God puts them under serious conviction.